Renegade Timelord

Argentina
1656 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  00:34:49  Show Profile  Visit The Master's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan

quote:
Originally posted by roytromlley

His portrayal in the Movie was better than his time in the series? That is rather strange. Looks like the same character an actor to me- just off the set of Fenric.

Each to their own, obviously, but that's not the way I saw it at all. McCoy's portrayal in The Movie had "grown up and matured" (even though it was brief), and was on a far higher plain than any of his earlier Who performances (I agree with Greystone06's comments above: when McCoy was "angry", he just didn't work for me at all).

Here he was pensive and a true mysterious "Time Lord". Oh, what could've been...

Shame he got shot so soon in The Movie!!!!

I agree that he did an awsome job in the movie and possibly some of his best as the Doctor all together. In an interview he said that he suddenly felt "very comfortable with the role". I think that you can see that in his performance, and seeing how good he was and how capable he is of playing the role well, I think he found the way to play the Doctor successfully finally,not that he was bad, but that he could have been better. It is a shame, I liked him and his portrayal could have been one of the strongest of the series. I also think they should bring Paul McGann back in and do a prequel type thing, bridging the gap between his appearance, the time war, and his regeneration into Christopher Eccleson... oh the possibilities, and what could have been!

"I am The Master... and you will obey me!"

Go to Top of Page

greystone_06
The Nth Doctor

United Kingdom
672 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  19:13:56  Show Profile  Visit greystone_06's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by frankiewilliams

I feel that Sylvester McCoy is very much Underated as The Doctor. He is my Favourite, and thats not becuase I grew up with him when I was really a small boy (born in 1984), his face used to scare me when I was little.

I know what you mean, his face used to scare me too, every time I saw it in the title sequence, and I was in my thirties.

It bothered me for years, why did it scare me at that age? So one day I sat down and thought about it, and I came to a startling realization. The reason it scared me so much was that I knew for the next 25 minutes I'd still have to endure him as the Doctor.

Ok, ok... below the belt I know, but I found it mildy amusing

Go to Top of Page

greystone_06
The Nth Doctor

United Kingdom
672 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  19:15:16  Show Profile  Visit greystone_06's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by koollectablz

Who went into terminal decline with Colin Baker and life support was turned off with McCoy.

The fetid corpse incapable of resusitation for over a decade.

JMHO

A very astute assessment.
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  11:24:49  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
I am amazed that Doctor Who fans can be so venomous about the show they perport to love.

Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut.
Go to Top of Page

koollectablz
The Great Intelligence

Congo, Democratic Republic of
920 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  11:46:30  Show Profile  Visit koollectablz's Homepage
You should hear what I say about my wife.
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  11:19:30  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
haha. Very good!

Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  11:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
I've always found McCoy's speech pattern peculiar; by which I mean the way he puts the emphasis on the wrong words. It leads to him sounding to stop mid-sentence, and then suddenly start again. Then there's the rolling r's . . .

Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  17:39:58  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
Yes ive often heard that criticism. Can you point out a line where there is this misplaced emphasis. For the life of me I cant hear it. I love the rolling rrrrrs though. Like Pertwee's lisp, Hartnell's bumbling or Eccleston's accent- they are all wonderfully idiosyncratic.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Davoren
Newly Generated

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  07:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Michael Davoren's Homepage
I was at an event in Australia last year with Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and someone had the rude impulse to say on the microphone "How good is Tom Baker!". When it came to my turn on the mic I had to point out to "How good the 6th and 7th Doctors are"!!! I loved them both. I hate this criticism of the actors playing them. They worked in very difficult production "climates" and have remained among the most loyal of supporters of fans.

"Run for your Life!!!"
Go to Top of Page

koollectablz
The Great Intelligence

920 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  08:36:20  Show Profile  Visit koollectablz's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Davoren

I was at an event in Australia last year with Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and someone had the rude impulse to say on the microphone "How good is Tom Baker!". When it came to my turn on the mic I had to point out to "How good the 6th and 7th Doctors are"!!! I loved them both. I hate this criticism of the actors playing them. They worked in very difficult production "climates" and have remained among the most loyal of supporters of fans.

Both extremely good points and very valid.

Unfortunately it still doesn't make Colin's or Sylvester's portrayal any better than total rubbish.

JMHO.

Congo kitten is dead.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1333 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  11:06:35  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage
quote:
Unfortunately it still doesn't make Colin's or Sylvester's portrayal any better than total rubbish.

Their portrayals wern't rubbish. The back room BS that was going on influenced too much what was seen on screen thus giving 2 very good actors utter dodoe (in the most part) to work with.#

You cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Where's the Kaboom?......There was supposed to be an Earth shattering Kaboom!
Go to Top of Page

koollectablz
The Great Intelligence

920 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  11:23:48  Show Profile  Visit koollectablz's Homepage
Yeah but they even managed to make a pigs ear out of a sows one.

Though I will concede that Colin was saddled with THAT really, really, really awful costume - Richard Burton would've had trouble with that.

McCoy had no such albatross - he was just godamn awful.

Congo kitten is dead.
Go to Top of Page

monstermaker1
Newly Generated

6 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  16:06:18  Show Profile  Visit monstermaker1's Homepage
Well i liked sylvester, he was the doctor when i was a lad, and i remember some good episodes back then.
Each to there own i guess
Go to Top of Page

Dalek Sec
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  15:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Dalek Sec's Homepage
Sylvs' a better actor now than he was when he played the Doctor... however, his best performances in the show, I belive were in Ghostlight, Survival and the TV movie It was a shame that the show got cancelled when he was showing signs of becoming a very good actor I also think people would've taken him more serious if he hadn't worn that bloomin' pullover!

The 'Cult of Skaro' lives on!
Go to Top of Page

Mattywhob
Companion

Canada
274 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  16:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Mattywhob's Homepage
I agree with most points made, for me he seemed to be hit and miss. I recently watched Curse of Fenric, and he can go from a great scene with gret dialogue delievery, to a terrible line and no emotion with those rolling r's and yes wrong emphasis oo certain words. I think he is a good Doctor with a good portrayal, good ideas, and if he could have been on a little longer, I think he could have developed it further. But overall, he's not the worst Doctor, and that makes him okay by me!

Is that some sort of reference to my height?
Go to Top of Page

Field_Major_Styre
Timelord

United Kingdom
353 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  12:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Field_Major_Styre's Homepage
The Seventh Doctor Lives on in my Dapol Collection!
It's because of him, I had to look up strange words like obstreperous as a kid!

Come on Ace, we have work to do.
Go to Top of Page

carltonbrowne
Newly Generated

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  15:59:21  Show Profile  Visit carltonbrowne's Homepage
UNDER-RATED? YES. AFTER A YEAR GRADUALLY FINDING HIS WAY IN THE ROLE, DRIFTING FROM A VERY LIGHT, HUMOUR BASED APPROACH, SYLVESTER FOUND A VERY DISTINCT WAY TO CREATE THE DOCTOR, DARK AND AT TIME MYSTERIOUS, BUT WITH A CHILDLIKE SENSE OF FUN TOO. I COULD SEE THREADS OF HARTNELL AND TROUGHTON, BUT A LOT THAT WAS JUST SYLVESTER. STILL ENJOYING HIS PERFORMANCES AS THE DOCTOR IN THE BIG FINISH AUDIOS. THE WRITERS ALSO SEEMED TO HAVE REALLY UNDERSTOOD AND EXPLOITED SYLVESTER'S APPROACH, AS I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE DONE WITH COLIN IF THERE HAD BEEN MORE TIME.
Go to Top of Page

Greatwazoo42
Companion

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  12:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Greatwazoo42's Homepage
Ah...opinions...everyone's is wrong except mine where mine applies to me and me is you if you are referring to you and not me, he she or it...and besides that last bit's sexist in my opinion.

I think the thing is that Sylvester's Doctor is the hardest to relate to of all the Doctors. He's the most alien, the most odd and the most unpredictable. Then again Sylvester had to deal with, as has been pointed out, back room politics, a shifting TV climate and a show that was being pressured into nonexistence by an unsympathetic management.

All in all I find myself the most moved by some of his stories. When I saw the extended re-edit of Wolves of Fenric I found myself almost in tears at the end. It was like having that lost chapter of my childhood back for an hour or two. I've been watching Doctor Who since 1981 and my first episode was Ep 1 of the Sun Makers. I've seen Who at it's best (far too many to list) and at it's worst ("Lord Nimon! LOOOORD NIIIIIMON!!! It is I...Soldeed") and Sylvester's portrayal was not the bottom of the barrel. Some of the crap stories he'd been handed certainly came close though but he managed through.

I've met the man and let me tell you I fully understand why JNT cast him. He has a presence. You can feel his emotions the same way you can find a raging fire with your eyes closed. He's sharp, honest and talented...he's also just that slight twinge of odd that makes playing an alien so much more suited to him.

Is he my favorite Doctor? No. Is he the Doctor I like the least? No. Is he underrated? Very. If they handed him something of the caliber of "Talons of Wen Chiang" I'm sure he'd have been lauded as the greatest Doctor of all time. It's not just the actor, it's the whole product.

I sent a message to another time/But as the days unwind, this I just can't believe/I sent a note across another plane/Maybe it's all a game, but this I just can't conceive...Can you hear me?
Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  20:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
McCoy was only at the start of his acting career when he became the 7th Dr, too soon to get the best out of him or the role. His episodes (including the 1996 final movie) are the weakest of Dr Who, very good entertaining TV drama, but not in the league of Snakedance,The Web of Fear, Face of Evil etc,etc.

Of course I can't dislike a TISWAS regular.

Another point. Why do references to the remake keep appearing here? This is titled as Classic, for the original programme continuity? There was no ninth Doctor! Certainly not in Doctor Who. Perhaps in comic strips. I need to escape from that overhyped remake, and I thought this space was supposed to be a refuge.
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  19:58:39  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brown

McCoy was only at the start of his acting career when he became the 7th Dr, too soon to get the best out of him or the role. His episodes (including the 1996 final movie) are the weakest of Dr Who, very good entertaining TV drama, but not in the league of Snakedance,The Web of Fear, Face of Evil etc,etc.

and The Space Pirates, Warriors of the Deep, Underworld, Invasion of the Dinosaurs, The Gun Fighters and The Twin Dilema. Thats right, Curse of Fenric can't hold a candle to those classics.

quote:
Another point. Why do references to the remake keep appearing here? This is titled as Classic, for the original programme continuity? There was no ninth Doctor! Certainly not in Doctor Who. Perhaps in comic strips. I need to escape from that overhyped remake, and I thought this space was supposed to be a refuge.

Aah but as the Valeyard was a spectre of the 12th and 13th Regeneration so there must have been a Ninth Doctor! As Doctor Who is basically one big story I would have thought that it would be very difficult to not throw in the odd new series reference here and there.

If one is discussing History its almost impossible not to mention its affect on the present day.

Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  21:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
Finding anything to compare with Warriors of the Deep, Underworld, Invasion of the Dinosaurs is a tough act. All they lack is SFX, which is optional in any case. Letts and Dicks pointed out Jurassic Park, saying "we had dodgy dinosaurs, but they had a dodgy script."

The last 3 seasons of Dr Who are only poor by comparison, they are still great drama.

The Valeyard is complex and not fully explained, a ninth Doctor was certain if The Master was honest (oh dear) but we have never seen one.
Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  21:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
Hang on, Roy you don't actually mean you are trying to link the kids fantasy remake in with the original adult science fiction drama it took it's name from? Or do you mean the audio version, or print spin-offs?
Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  09:27:54  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
quote:

Finding anything to compare with Warriors of the Deep, Underworld, Invasion of the Dinosaurs is a tough act. All they lack is SFX, which is optional in any case. Letts and Dicks pointed out Jurassic Park, saying "we had dodgy dinosaurs, but they had a dodgy script."

The last 3 seasons of Dr Who are only poor by comparison, they are still great drama.

I can't understand what you mean there. McCoy has uniformly great effects and good scripts. There is nothing dodgy about the scripts of Survival, Fenric, Remembrance or Ghostlight. Plus I don't think its only the effects that let Warriors of the Deep down. Intense lighting, no comic relief and a generally poor story. (But I do adore the Sea Devil revival scenes)

Go to Top of Page

roytromlley
Timelord

United Kingdom
309 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  09:30:21  Show Profile  Visit roytromlley's Homepage
quote:

Hang on, Roy you don't actually mean you are trying to link the kids fantasy remake in with the original adult science fiction drama it took it's name from? Or do you mean the audio version, or print spin-offs?

No I mean the new series of Doctor Who which has won many awards, critical acclaim and strong viewing figures. You must have seen it- Saturday nights for 13 weeks of the year I believe.

Go to Top of Page

Brown
Companion

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  19:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Brown's Homepage
You know perfectly well Roy that the remake cannot connect to Doctor Who. It is one of the current plague of remake series flooding film and TV on both sides of the channel. I so wish that the quality of McCoy's Doctor Who could have been emulated in the kid's version, but no, ego trips and toy sales are the order of the day. I see you judge quality by the pound rather than any level of sophistication. Cartmel had his flaws but he knew to reject the dross scripts that became the remake.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      4:45:48 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com