Season finale: The Doctor Falls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  22:32:01  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, certainly a LOT going on in this one.

I would have preferred Tom Baker to emerge from the mist at the end, but you can't have everything :-)

Full regeneration at Christmas, I assume.

Chris Balcombe

Fudge
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1821 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2017 :  23:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Fudge's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought it was marvellous. A finely crafted two parter which had action, horror, romance, tons of fan service and some wonderful exits for some great characters, all of whom I am going to miss. Capaldi was outstanding.

An excellent finish to a strangely disappointingly average season I thought.
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  02:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved it mostly.. shame we didn't get other versions of cyberment as well and they needed to be more menacing. loved the different perspectives of Bill(cyber bill and how she saw herself). the comedy between missy and the master was brilliant. I hope when the episode at Christmas comes along the doctor questions what happened to Bill and how he got into the tardis.. My only grievance is these constant jumps from peril to being safe and then either just a bit of throw away narrative or flashback to try and fill us all in. why cant we have them get out of the peril as it happens.. apart from that brilliant acting on all parts...

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  09:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how I feel about 'The Doctor Falls'.

Capaldi, Gomez and Simms were fantastic together. Pearl Mackie's an outstanding actress and I'm really disappointed she's going. I'm even going to miss Matt Lucas. The Cybermen costumes were fantastic and the sets/CG to remind us we're inside a ship were really well done. So it looked great and the acting was spot-on.

But... as with a number of Moffat stories, it felt like some of the more interesting threads of the first part were abandoned. For example, were the Cybermen actually meant to be the Mondasians seen in The Tenth Planet? Was this really how they were created? If so how did they leave the ship? However... I do like how he goes against expectations; whilst I could see where Missy's story was going I didn't expect her to be 'killed' by the Master.

Most of all though I'm really, really not convinced by the inclusion of David Bradley as the first Doctor. Now I really enjoyed 'An Adventure in Space and Time' and thought he did a great job of making William Hartnell someone with whom you felt empathy and sympathy. I'm just not sure he's a convincing enough first Doctor as he comes across more of a caricature. I know the same can be said of Richard Hurndall in 'The Five Doctors'. I suppose we'll see at Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  13:42:52  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really enjoyable,loved the 2 masters and their mutual destruction,classic story, body horror, scary who!
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  05:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope that in the xmas episode that the doctor realises something has happened to Bill and we get a bit more of his reaction to what happened in this episode. would be terrible if they just started a totally new story with both doctors without acknowledging the events of this episode.

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:07:42 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com