Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  08:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I follow your logic, and certainly the principle is based upon you being able/being prepared to spend that much money!

Conversely, one wouldn't want to spend circa £35 on one box and be "unlikely" to pull a sketch. It's horses for courses really. Bit more money = better odds. And then pull a nice one and you've got yourself a bargain. Don't forget the Achilleos Ood (as if you could...).

Personally, I aint pulled a Henderson. So the odds don't always fall as they should.

Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  12:01:29  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, thats quite odd, if you look at the case breaks so far most people seem to have hit 2 of a artist in a case when there have been 4 sketches in the case.

Dalekfan: 2 x Aragon
Doctor Jas: 2 x Martineck / 2 x Henderson
Me: 2 x Henderson

Very odd.

Also no two boxes have had sketches in numerical order ie. Sketch miss a box or two sketch miss a box or two. That is why my last two boxes remain unopened.

The box I got the Ood from was not bought from Srtictly Ink, but from Collectorzone, I was damn lucky... it could have been a vogan Costume Card .

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  03:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had 2 odd boxes off separate dealers now. Neither had a sketch.. If anyone does pull one from a box bought from a dealer (as opposed to direct from Strictly Ink), please post on here. I (and I'm sure others) would love to hear of your good fortune!

Edited by - Dalekfan on 28 Nov 2008 04:55:46
Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  05:43:07  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dalekfan, which dealers did you buy the boxes from?

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  05:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb

Dalekfan, which dealers did you buy the boxes from?

I wouldn't wish to name names on here. EMail if you wish.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  17:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem is with most cases only containing 3 sketch cards the odds are not in your favour for a single box purchase. You should count yourself VERY lucky if you pulled a sketch. I would agree that you probably need to buy 3 consecutively numbered boxes but in one of my cases there was a sketch, then the next 3 boxes had an auto and a clip, and my final sketch was in the next one. This was also happened in another 2 of my cases. Luck of the draw, in one of my cases 2 out of 3 boxes would have had sketches. The placement is very random.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  04:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I opened my case (which had 4 sketches luckily), and had 3 boxes left unopened at the end which I knew could not have sketches in them.

Edited by - Dalekfan on 29 Nov 2008 04:33:11
Go to Top of Page

bjblackpool
Companion

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  09:04:22  Show Profile  Visit bjblackpool's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Box 579 - Tovey redemption; F1,5,7,9; Movie Cell.

Whilst I'm a little unhappy with the foil-less foils and only three auto cards (and redemptions at that), I'm really taken with the movie cells!
Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  10:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's just a shame that Strictly Ink couldn't get 6-8 hand signed autos which would have made this set a little more exciting. It would have been great if it had been more like the Hammer Horror set with a few very limited autos as well as a few common autos as the sketch card ratio seems to be the same. In that set there were 8 autos to be found in boxes with 1 binder auto and 1 case topper auto. Hammer Horror may not have been everyone's cup of tea but I personally thought it had been one of Strictly Ink's best products.

I think Big Screen could have been better with more autos, 4 sketches per case, and maybe the film clips being numbered or having different styles to make them more collactable. Just my opinion anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  10:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMHO the clips cards have saved this release as they're an innovative idea (for Strictly Ink at least).

Numbering them would've been marvellous as you say, but SI have an aversion to numbering cards: their release quantities are then too easy to track!!!

Certainly not enough autos this time, and as said they're all equally common.

And for me, the sketch cards are too samey in subject matter, generally speaking. I mean, who drew the old ladies who double-crossed the heroes to the Daleks, or the outside of the mine, or the mine control room, or a good shot of the Dalek city, or the cool sequence with the mirrors being used by the Thals etc etc etc....

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  08:55:22  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 3 boxes arrived today.

Box 928
Foils f1 f5 f7 f9
Auto A3
Movie clip

Box 929
Foils f2 f4 f6 f8
Auto A2
Sketch Don Pedicini Jr

Box 930
Foils f1 f5 f7 f9
Auto A1
Movie clip

I was pleased to get all 3 auto's and a nice sketch but was one foil short of a set and the movie clip cards look great.

Go to Top of Page

Doctor Jas
Companion

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  12:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Doctor Jas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice sketch Sittin9duck, I've got a spare F3 (email sent)
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  06:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Box 0881 yielded the following :

• David Graham auto

• F1, F2, F4, F8

• Ingrid Hardy sketch - Dr Who and Tom

I'll upload a scan of the sketch card later, but if you look at the IH sketches on the SI website it's the one on the penultimate row on its own.

Very pleased with the sketch card, especially as I only bought 2 boxes, but I don't think I'll be opening box 0882!

Edited by - Paul on 06 Dec 2008 06:15:59
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  06:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul

Very pleased with the sketch card, especially as I only bought 2 boxes, but I don't think I'll be opening box 0882!

Well done on the sketch. Your comment on the other box sums up the sketch distribution issues with this release perfectly. There's gonna be a lot of redundant boxes floating around.

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  08:00:09  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Paul that sketch was on my list of cards to look out for.

Go to Top of Page

bjblackpool
Companion

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Visit bjblackpool's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Box 1348 - Graham redemption, f1, f4, f8, f9, Movie clip.
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  08:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Box 1014, my box opened for Christmas, produced a Dalek sketch by Mark Spears! I'm delighted with it: at least 3 of his 6 sketch cards were already out there, so my chances of gettting one (and a Dalek too ) must've been fairly remote.

There are 2 Spears currently on the Bay, one at GBP 149 and one at GBP 199, so I am well pleased, as this one cost me the price of a box (less than GBP 30).

It is now up on my Collectors Page (Artwork) if you would like to see it.

http://www.richardwho.com/collectors/stevensmith/sub.asp?u=59&s=3

Edited by - Dalekfan on 26 Dec 2008 08:30:51
Go to Top of Page

ACE
Companion

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  08:35:10  Show Profile  Visit ACE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! I've still to get a Spears card and from the ones I've seen envy your box pull!

Matt
Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  12:33:55  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great to see you pulled the dalek by Mark Spears. I know how delighted you must be to get that sketch without having to over pay from ebay. Well do.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  04:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I thin out my collection (including sketch cards) I will primarily be going for my first love, Daleks!!

Here's a recent acquisition as I go down this new collecting trail. If you want me to post any more, please let me know:

Go to Top of Page

jaseb
Companion

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  09:06:47  Show Profile  Visit jaseb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice card DF. Mr Graham I presume?

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  07:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaseb

Nice card DF. Mr Graham I presume?

Thank you. Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  07:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't think I've posted this one before:

Go to Top of Page

sittin9duck
Timelord

United Kingdom
421 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  20:52:43  Show Profile  Visit sittin9duck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two great sketches you have got there. You have found some great Kevin Graham sketches. Any more hidden gems to show us.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  08:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These last 2 are now on my Collectors Page.

Yes, there's some more to come soon, Craig!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:03:22 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com