Looking forward to the Xmas Special?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  19:17:25  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I am, may be the last Dr Who as we sort of know it, so I will be watching avidly, may be the last hurrah of my fave show, but what the hell, give it a go...

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  21:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to it indeed. cant wait to see how they incorporate the 10th Planet into this episode however I am not too sure about how I will feel with the direction the show will go.. I will watch to see but it just wont be the same I think.. Loved Missy as a character but never could take to her as the Master in female form.. Rani yes but Master no..

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  22:29:05  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I am looking forward to it. Don't really know what to expect but bring it on after all it's Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  22:52:37  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, bring it on!

Suspect it'll be a good episode.

Then afterwards, give her great stories, with great scripts, and she'll sail through.

If not.....well, let's not go there unless we have to.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  21:17:00  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sooo, any reaction? all it needed was a story!
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  00:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyable episode and I loved seeing Bill again however there were a few things I didn't like.. No explanation where Polly and Ben were, the confusion in the writing of the first doctor and William Hartnell. I don't remember the first doctor ever being racist or sexist like he was portrayed. We all know that William Hartnell was but never the doctor (unless it is in the missing episodes that I haven't seen..)
As far as the regeneration is concerned, what an anticlimax for Jodie.. two lousy words which to be honest was hard to understand on first listening ("oh brilliant" in her Yorkshire accent) and then the ejection from the Tardis.. this should have been the moment to really make an impact and get those unsure fans on side and want to see more of her. it did none of this unfortunately.. I am and have been in two minds over this gender change and wanted something to make me want to love her instantly.. this unfortunately didn't.. Not the best regeneration story but not the worst. I watched this twice and did enjoy overall though.

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  15:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I quite enjoyed it, though it was light on threat/actual story and whilst I appreciate the story was intended to encapsulate the 12th Doctor and his attitude I'm not sure it was as good a send-off as it might have been. In saying that, it was the only way we were going to get Bill Potts back and I'm all for any more we can see of Pearl Mackie. Mark Gatiss was great too, though I've had more than enough of the Lethbridge-Stewart references now. The lead-up to the regeneration was far too prolonged (I want something like the Eccleston-to-Tennant regeneration again), but seeing Jodie in the TARDIS was great. I think she's really suited to Capaldi's clothes. I loved the ring dropping off her finger too - a nod to the Hartnell-to-Troughton regeneration.

Whoviansdelight - to answer your questions...

The story was placed between the 1st Doctor's "It's far from being all over" speech and him regenerating in the TARDIS. Ben and Polly don't leave the Cybermen ship with the Doctor and (from memory) don't see him until he's entering the TARDIS.

The 1st Doctor seemed to be written in such a way as to show how far we (and the Doctor) have come, which ties nicely into Capaldi's speech before he regenerates. Although David Bradley did a great job (much, much better than I expected) I wasn't overly comfortable with his characterisation. However, the 1st Doctor does threaten to smack Susan's bottom in one of the original stories (I can't remember which), and there's varying amounts of casual sexism peppered throughout the first 20 years of the show.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jodie Whittaker does with the part (I'd no problem understanding what she said - does tha' 'ave cloth ears lad? ;) - and I really, really hope she sticks with the Yorkshire accent)
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2017 :  23:02:53  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure she'll stick with the accent.

Chris E stuck with his, memorably telling Rose that other planets also have 'a North'.

However, with my memory, I may not even recall who the new Doctor is, by the time BBC1 get around to launching the next series!

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2017 :  23:11:45  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So is there an actual launch date for the next series Chris?
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2017 :  09:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DB 2

So is there an actual launch date for the next series Chris?

No date yet, just autumn 2018.
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2017 :  13:41:31  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Far to long to wait l think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:51:36 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com