Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  15:54:50  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Hi All

I'm researching where the Cybermen gloves originated, from Earthshock, but also in The Five Doctors and Attack.

It seems three different designs were used, (all with a single zip), one for Earthshock, then mainly the same in Five Doctors, but with other designs creeping in, glimpsed in Attack.

Most assume they were motorcycle gloves. I'm not 100% convinced of that.

The Beeb grabbed a lot of stuff from army/navy surplus stores, and I wonder if there'a a trail there.

Best Wishes to all. Hope your Summers are going well!

Chris Balcombe

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  12:15:58  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
the ones in nemesis were cricket gloves, with the linked fingers
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  14:48:16  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Yes indeed David, mainly the batting style with, as you say, two fingers linked, though at least one Cyberman is wearing a normal, non-batting pair.

I managed to track down two old pairs of the batting gloves. which were that year's Gunn and Moore design.

You might think finding the Earthshock style wouldn't be as dificult, but it is

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

gallifreyancostumes
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  07:22:38  Show Profile  Visit gallifreyancostumes's Homepage
There are close-up photos of several gloves here: http://www.drwholongleat.com/id7.html

I thought that they were ski gloves, but I'm prepared to be corrected.

Are they leather? If so, motorcycle gloves are more likely.

Gallifreyan Costumes

Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2015 :  17:50:34  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Many thanks Ric. Yes, those pix by my old mate Mark Barton-Hill show all three glove variations, including Earthshock.

I too, think we may be misled into assuming the gloves are motorcycle style. The Earthshocks are insulated and appear to have an inner lining, which was folded back under to maintain the 'mooon boot look' rounded edge look.

I contacted Mark. His glove is at an exhibition, but while he had it, he said he didn't see a label, but said they looked black under the silver paint.

So I say, yes, possibly ski gloves. I don't tend to think they'd be leather, as this would have made them pricey and we all know the Beeb would have found a cheaper, synthetic material if it was available.

But then again......

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

the_narrator
The Autograph Moderator

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  16:20:38  Show Profile
Interesting subject this as I always thought the Gloves where Ski Gloves sprayed Silver how ever I was chuckling to myself over a private joke I thought to myself how ever thinking about it its not much of a joke but could be true.

So let me explain what I thought to myself as it may hold a key or its just going to be ramblings of a Madman lol

If I may I would like to ask a question, something that you don't really think about, How do or did the BBC Costume Dept purchase items that they needed ? For example for Earthshock they needed X amount of Gloves, Boots and Suits ( which I mean the Pipe Work Suit or Air Flow Suit to give its correct title or so I'm lead to believe )

Of course now a days we would just go on-line and either Ebay It or Google It but of course we're talking about a subject pre-Internet days. So how did they purchase items ? Did they have say a Catalog of Items or Did a Junior Member of the Dept have to go to a shop and physically purchase them ?

If a Jr Member had to go to a shop and purchase say the Pipe Suits it stands to reason that they would have to have purchased them from a Army Surplus Store or rather a RAF surplus store ( as I believe the Suits where used by the Air Force rather than the Army ) so it kinda stands to reason that the gloves " May " have been purchased in the same way ie While your in " Army R Us " Miss Bloggs see if you can pick up X amount of Medium sized Gloves.

The same could be said about the Moonboots or rather the gloves could have been purchased at the same time as the boots. Thinking about this I was reminded about a Local Chain Store called " Millets ". All those who are old enough to remember these shops skip the next bit how ever for those Young'uns out there Millets was a kinda Outdoor/Camping shop that could be found on your local High Street ( do you remember the High Street ? lol ). And if my memory is correct its the kinda place you would find Moonboots and Ski gloves so if someone from the Costume dept walked into Millets to buy the boots it makes sense the gloves where bought at the same time. After all Time is Money for the BBC ! So does any one have a old 80's Millets catalog lol

Just a idea :)

This is the day the Timelords returned....
For Gallifrey....
For Victory....
For The End Of Time Itself....!!!
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  17:06:26  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Hi Robin.

Your thoughts are good ones. Richard Gregory went to an army/navy/forces etc surplus store and saw the Earthshock cooling suits, which as you say, were worn during the 1960's by RAF pilots to keep themselves cool. They first started using them in the late 1950's.

It would appear whoever was doing SFX on Alien also walked into a similar shop and picked some up too, as they appear, unpainted, in that epic. And they pop up in Blake's 7 too.

And yes, my thought was that the gloves might also have been lying in the 'old glove box' in the same store.

But still making them very hard to find.

For the Nemesis cricket gloves, maybe one of the SFX team played, and had a pair, and simply got hold of more.

The moonboots were a fashion item, so no forces surplus I don't think (though I may be wrong).

About 15 years ago (or was it longer), it took me four years to find the correct dalek dome lights for the Death/Planet/Genesis lights.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, had been using mini style lights (or similar) until then. And it seemed ridiculous that nobody had tracked down the right ones.

I was so excited when I spotted one on an old landrover, then had to track down old Land Rover spares stockists, who were very bemused by my look of glee when they found a dusty old box full of them.

As for the movie dalek lights, that's another long story! But the TPE movie daleks wouldn't have what are very nearly the correct versions had I not started on another quest years ago.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

the_narrator
The Autograph Moderator

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  16:54:44  Show Profile
Many thanks Chris for the reply I am so glad that what I said made sense to someone else rather than me lol.

I have to admire your quest as most people, including myself, may be wouldn't go as far as you I know I would just say " That will do " lol But good luck !

It was interesting what you said about Richard Gregory and the suits as that's something new I've learnt ! When ever I hear things about Richard its always referring to Helmets/Masks and things but never the actual costume. I did read that right didn't I ? He or at least his company did the suits as well ? I was always lead to believe that the Earthshock suits where made by the Costume Dept how ever now I stop and think about it that makes perfect sense.

Yes you are right the " Cooling " suits have been used else where and as you've said not only in Blakes 7 but Alien as well how ever I do know of one other film one can been seen in and thats Return of the Jedi. You can clearly see one behind C3-PO in one of Jabba the Huts Palace scenes although you may have to pause the film but it is there as I've seen it !

What is also interesting about the suits is the fact that the first time one can be seen in Blakes 7 is in Season 3's City at the Edge of the World which predates Earthshock by a year ! How ever even more bizarre is Alien predates even that !!!

You know I do enjoy topics like this as it tends to stur long forgotten memories and I've just had a light bulb moment and would like to ask you Chris if you tried Silvermans web site for the gloves ? As I know they do still sell the Cooling Suits amazing I know but its true I've just googled them lol but at nearly 800 bucks I'll pass thanks lol How ever since they are based in London its a long shot but this MAY be the original shop that Richard Gregory purchased the Earthshock ones from. Ok Ok I know I'm clutching at straws here but well you just don't know do you ?

This is the day the Timelords returned....
For Gallifrey....
For Victory....
For The End Of Time Itself....!!!
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  17:34:53  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Hi Robin
Depending on which magazine or website you read, you get slightly differing versions of how events led to the Earthshock suits.
In one article (http://doctorwhoconcordance.wikia.com/wiki/Earthshock) it states:

"....More importantly, Gregory knew that his local army surplus store in Oxford sold G-suits. Another factor in the use of G-suits was that they looked slightly sophisticated and futuristic to begin with due to the in-built network of pipes and tubes, and only needed spraying silver to complete the look".

Richard Gregory was working in collaboration with costume designer Dinah Collin, who attached the split-open cooling suits to standard overalls, each fitted to each particular actor, as they wanted them to look figure-hugging. They then had a painted-on layer of latex applied, so the silver paint would adhere.

I've checked Silvermans, but no sign of anything near the glove design. And their current pilot's cooling suit is different from the Earthshock/Alien/Blake's 7 version. But a good thought

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:51:12 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com