Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Poll
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Collecting on Richardwho
 The DVD forum.
 So 2|entertain is no more & it's just the BBC...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  04:42:59  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Been talking on facebook & was shocked to realise I've not been paying much attention to DVDs released of late, I was totally unaware 2|entertain had been dissolved into BBC Worldwide & that fans were no longer having to fund restorations so DVDs can be made of the classic series..., good news though I'm thinking as it's wrong to expect fans to pay when the BBC are the ones to profit.

http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/02/the-end-of-2entertain/

Kevin

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  06:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by kevb0977

Been talking on facebook & was shocked to realise I've not been paying much attention to DVDs released of late, I was totally unaware 2|entertain had been dissolved into BBC Worldwide & that fans were no longer having to fund restorations so DVDs can be made of the classic series..., good news though I'm thinking as it's wrong to expect fans to pay when the BBC are the ones to profit.

http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/02/the-end-of-2entertain/

I'm not sure what you mean by "fans no longer having to fund restorations". When was this happening?

To be honest I don't think 2|E did a bad job at all, and it's looking like the 'Underwater Menace' DVD is never going to happen without them.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Bignell
Chancellor

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  07:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Bignell's Homepage
quote:

Been talking on facebook & was shocked to realise I've not been paying much attention to DVDs released of late, I was totally unaware 2|entertain had been dissolved into BBC Worldwide...

That happened three years ago!

2|entertain still exists, it's just used for non-drama releases. Fans didn't ever "fund" the restorations though.

Edited by - Richard Bignell on 25 Feb 2015 07:14:58
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  07:34:29  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Ok, co-funded but still funded all the same: -

The Doctor Who Restoration Team is a loose collection of Doctor Who fans, many within the television industry, who restore Doctor Who episodes for release on DVD.

The Restoration Team was formed in 1992 when a small group of Doctor Who fans approached the BBC's Television Archivist wanting funding for a unique project. This original project was to restore monochrome recordings of a Jon Pertwee story back to their original colour form, as the originals had been lost. The results of this were so successful that the BBC Archives co-funded the Team to restore three more complete stories. Since then, the Team has expanded and has contributed to many Doctor Who projects for both BBC Television and BBC Worldwide. These include many of the final Doctor Who VHS releases and all of the "classic series" DVD releases to date.

Kevin

Edited by - kevb0977 on 25 Feb 2015 07:36:12
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  11:08:22  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
I hoped that the reason that Underwater menace had been shelved was that they had actually found the missing episodes, so a restoration with animation was not necessary!
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  13:15:50  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
I thought it had just been delayed because of the need for animation but no animation needed would be nice of course, hoping they do release it as I won't be happy until every Doctor Who story gets into my collection & yes I know, guess I'll never be happy. lol

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  13:19:59  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bignell
That happened three years ago!

2|entertain still exists, it's just used for non-drama releases. Fans didn't ever "fund" the restorations though.

Yeah, I've been reading up on it today & although I'd noticed the 2|entertain logo wasn't around on the DVDs, it didn't register until today when I was watching series 7 of new Who & I decided to investigate. Old news maybe but I still like to have a chat on here so hence the post.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Richard Bignell
Chancellor

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  04:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Bignell's Homepage
quote:

Not even co-funded by fans.

The small group of fans were BBC employees, using BBC money for a BBC project.
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  05:07:42  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bignell

quote:

Not even co-funded by fans.

The small group of fans were BBC employees, using BBC money for a BBC project.

How do I find the older threads? I remember talking on one a while back & saying that I was waiting for the price to come down before buying it & 2 people both started complaining at me, saying about funding by fans..., you didn't correct them so I want this investigated now. lol

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:05:22 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com