New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  05:16:26  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
As I tap this in, an excellent, crisp version of Carnival Of Monsters is on the Horror Channel.

They're running two or three episodes every morning, repeating them in the evening throughout weekdays. Inferno completed yesterday.

When I'm not working, I'm finding them thoroughly enjoyable.

I have SKY so no idea how available the Horror Channel is around the world, but I'm guessing it isn't a subscription channel.

Chris Balcombe

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  08:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
I'm with Virgin Media Cable TV. I have their very basic 'M' package which is basically just the free to air channels available through Freeview. The Horror Channel popped up on here a few weeks ago and I have watched a few Dr Who stories/episodes. The same happened at around this time last year. It was available for around 3 months then returned to the paid packages.

So far, the picture quality on the episodes I have watched has been pretty poor. Rather like watching an old VHS tape version. On the plus side, it has made the new Dr Who stories on Saturday evenings look really good both in terms of production values and content. Some of the old stories that I have such fond memories of really do not stand up very well

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  14:51:54  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
You're right Kevin. Some of the episodes have been poor quality picture-wise. Carnival is a welcome change and so far seems excellent.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

Liberator
Vervoid Salad Chef

United Kingdom
1410 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  06:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Liberator's Homepage
It seems the Horror Channel has purchased an additional 17 stories for broadcast from October 13th but unlike before, these are the versions originally remastered for DVD.

From the various Restoration Team articles I've read over the years, my assumption is that once the master tapes are taken from the archive, copies are made for use in creating the remastered DVD versions. The original tapes are then returned to the archive untouched, bar any needed repairs to prevent irreparable damage. If the BBC wanted to broadcast a repeat or even use clips in the TV show, they'd only have the unrestored master tapes available to them, not the cleaned up versions seen on DVD. Hence the poor quality of the clips used in 'The Name of the Doctor' for example.

Crazy eh?

Daleks conker and destroy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:46:52 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com