Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Poll
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Collecting on Richardwho
 Character Options Resource
 Help! Value of CO figures loose vs carded?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phono Paul
Companion

168 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  09:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Phono Paul's Homepage
I have a virtually complete set of CO figures all carded (as, I suspect, do most of the people on here!) but I've got to the point where I'm seriously considering de-carding them, mostly because they take up far too much room, but also it would be nice to actually have them out on display.

However my question for the floor is this: If we ignore any such fluffy benefits, in purely cold, hard, cynical terms, would this devalue them much? You know, should I suddenly see the light and decide to liquidate my collection.

This is really about the "standard" figures, not the classics/exclusives. I kind of feel that most of the standard range probably aren't worth a great deal anyway, and being minty carded isn't going to add much value, especially to the Lazlos of this world. Also with postage now being so high, the cost of posting a carded figure is probably a good £3-4 more than an uncarded one... so any apparent small leap in value on ebay is probably benefiting the Royal Mail rather than the seller.

Anyway, you get the idea. I'm not asking whether I should do it, I'm really more curious as to whether people think carded versions will be - significantly - more valuable in the future?!!

frobisher
Keeper of Time

Jamaica
628 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  10:45:03  Show Profile  Visit frobisher's Homepage
If the market for Star Wars/GI Joes/Transformers/Dapol/etc figures tell us anything, if any of the standard figures have any value at all in the future. And I mean ANY value.

You must keep them carded.

Go to Top of Page

Regeneration
Timelord

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  12:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Regeneration's Homepage
It's an interesting point you make, Paul. Things aren't really moving at the moment as far as I can see... Forbisher is right in what he says; I'd just add to that that I think we are talking long term investment to see much of a return.
Go to Top of Page

Phono Paul
Companion

168 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  10:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Phono Paul's Homepage
It's possibly not a fair comparison but the car boot dealers around here (the type with loads of figures from Star Wars, wrestling etc) seem to be only selling them for a quid or two, and not really shifting them at that. Obviously they don't have any of the rarer figures (or they've sold them!) and most of them don't have accessories. but you get the feeling there isn't much of a demand even at that end of the market.

I can't help feeling that with so many collectors buying the figures (from the first wave onwards) and no doubt keeping them minty mint, there's always going to be - by and large - more supply than demand, unless the new series has given us a mighty influx of, er, new obsessives like us. The "exclusives" and classic figures are a different kettle of fish mind. I've often wondered what - if anything - a Korwin is worth now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:48:56 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com