Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Poll
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shows
 Classic Dr Who
 I need some help identifying a classic story???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  02:59:33  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
When I was a boy I remember watching an episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor & companion(s) get sucked underneath the ground & after they get pulled under there was a disturbed circular pile of dirt/soil..., as I recall the whole ground was dirt/soil BUT it was more hardened so when someone got pulled under it left the markings on the surface that I described.

NOW..., I had always thought that it was a Peter Davison Doctor story line BUT as yet I haven't ever come across it, mind you I also thought that Davros was the one that had pulled him underground BUT that's not the case!!! lol

SO..., does being pulled underground in an 80s story from Doctor Who sound familiar to anyone??? & I'm not talking about the newer series (Matt Smith) with the drilling in Wales & the return of the Silurians, it's definately an 80s story/episode that's been on my mind for many years & BUGGING me big time because I've never ever seen it again!!!

Thanks.

Kevin

Edited by - kevb0977 on 02 May 2011 03:07:53

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  04:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
It could be Frontios or Trial of a Timelord. There are such earth disturbances in those stories.

Go to Top of Page

Col
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
4336 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  05:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Col's Homepage
i would say Frontios too Steven.

Col

When you have seen the ages i have seen....................
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  05:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Thanks Col. My memory isn't what it was!

Plus, Kevin may not have rediscovered the story simply because it's not available on DVD yet.

Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  08:05:22  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Thankyou both for the information, I shall be on the look out for this story (Frontios) from now on..., hopefully a TV channel might show it?!?

Do you know if there are any plans to bring this story out on DVD any time soon??? I'm VERY happy to at least know what the story was that's been in my head since I was a boy..., I'll have a look for it on-line later, see if I can't at least read up on it if nothing else?!?

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  08:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by kevb0977

Thankyou both for the information, I shall be on the look out for this story (Frontios) from now on..., hopefully a TV channel might show it?!?

Do you know if there are any plans to bring this story out on DVD any time soon??? I'm VERY happy to at least know what the story was that's been in my head since I was a boy..., I'll have a look for it on-line later, see if I can't at least read up on it if nothing else?!?

I seem to recall that it's scheduled for later this year.
Go to Top of Page

Liberator
Vervoid Salad Chef

United Kingdom
1410 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  09:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Liberator's Homepage
Yes, it's definitely Frontios and good news - The DVD is out at the end of this month!

Daleks conker and destroy
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  12:39:25  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Wicked news..., I'm all excited now!!! I am going to Amazon this VERY instant to see if I can pre-order it, thankyou for the information Paul & Andy..., you've made my day!!!

I've been waiting SO long to see this episode (story) again, I'm really looking forward to seeing it & also owning it on DVD..., I'm pleased I remembered the right Doctor BUT then Peter Davison is my favorite Doctor so I should at least get that part right!!!

Thanks again to everyone, your all stars!!!

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  12:47:50  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
Well I've just been on the Amazon website & read the episode description & it's definately the story I was thinking about so I've pre-ordered it, it comes out on the 30th of May (well done on finding that out Andy)..., I usually wait for the price to come down before buying DVD's BUT this is an exception as it's a story I only ever remember seeing as a boy & it's always been in the back of my mind ever since!!!

I'm kind of curious now as to why though??? I'm thinking I either really enjoyed the story OR as I was only between the ages of 5 & 7 when Peter Davison was THE Doctor it may well have scared me!!! lol I shall find out soon though, a couple of days into June most probably (allowing for delivery)..., REALLY happy at the moment (easily pleased, I know)!!!

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Liberator
Vervoid Salad Chef

United Kingdom
1410 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  13:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Liberator's Homepage
It's a story that resonates with me too. There were two moments in particular that stayed in my memory long after transmission. I won't mention which moments (yet) as I'd hate to spoil it for you

Daleks conker and destroy
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  13:36:51  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
SPOILERS!!! lol As the Doctor isn't allowed to know certain things I guess we mere mortals shouldn't get information before it's due either!!! I'm terrible for telling people what's going to happen in programs I've seen..., really can't remember much about this story off hand but I'm sure it will come back to me as I watch it (even after SO many years)!!! I picked the right time to ask about this story though, it's a bit bizar that I ask the very month it's being released on DVD, spooky!!!

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:20:47 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com