New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  05:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Long before Battles in Time was this set: and if you thought BIT was tough to complete, you should have tried this one!!!

There were 3 ultra rares that were incredibly hard to find; add to that a separate starter deck which had cards exclusive to that deck (you couldn't get them from booster packs), and a very wide range of cards (302 in total) that didn't have a particularly good collation in boxes.

The set took me nearly 10 years to complete, and then only thanks to dear collector friends.

Sadly there was no specific binder for this set. There was one promo card (Exterminate!).

Latterly, the booster pack boxes were remaindered and were available for a few pounds in cheap shops in the High Street. Sadly this increase in availability did not drastically increase your chances of completing the set.

Pictured is a sealed box of Starter Decks (12 Decks per box), two examples of the Starter Boxes themselves, and a box of booster packs (45 packs per box):

Edited by - Dalekfan on 01 Nov 2007 07:45:05

Sci-FiPlanet
Companion

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  10:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Sci-FiPlanet's Homepage
I'm only missing the three ultra rare cards from this set, they were Davros, the Doomsday W, and Tom Baker (That really bugged me it's the one card I always wanted)

There were also several error or variant cards, however the only one I can remember off the top of my head is the Time card that read "ME" instead of time.

God I had almost forgotten about this set, the game itself is much better than BIT simply for the fact that there was a game you could play. I remember modifying the rules so that you could have more than three timeless creatures in one zone at a time (whats the point if your not going to role up with an army of Daleks against everyone else)

Someplace in my loft is a big box FULL of these cards.. I will have to dig it out and see what left! Thanks for the trip down memory lane Steve
Go to Top of Page

dalej
Target Art Curator

1890 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  12:23:58  Show Profile  Visit dalej's Homepage
The promo "Exterminate" was included as a freebie in the Scrye Magazine( hopefully I spelled Scrye correct?) The magazine was enclosed in plastic and the card was put in the front, I actually still have a sealed copy with the card inside
Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  12:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by dalej

The promo "Exterminate" was included as a freebie in the Scrye Magazine( hopefully I spelled Scrye correct?) The magazine was enclosed in plastic and the card was put in the front, I actually still have a sealed copy with the card inside

Nice, Dale!!!

Go to Top of Page

dalej
Target Art Curator

1890 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  12:51:20  Show Profile  Visit dalej's Homepage
Thanks Steven
Go to Top of Page

Ian
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  15:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Ian's Homepage
Didn't the company go broke just after the cards launched?

I was lucky early on - got the Davros in a packet, can't remember how I got the 4th Doctor but I got my last - the Doomsday Machine about 2000 or so.

They're a great set to get signed.

Go to Top of Page

Dalekfan

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  04:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Personally, I just think that the timing of this release was off: there just wasn't enough general interest to sustain sales. IMHO of course.

Still a nice set to have, and some great images.

Go to Top of Page

Melkur
Mastered Materializing

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  23:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Melkur's Homepage
I got dozens of the Starter deck boxes (in cases of 10) for under $1 each deck about 3 years ago from a guy on the US West coast. Not a single Ultra Rare in any of those, I'd say they are only in the Boosters and my average is about every 5-10 boxes for one (Doomsday Machine pulled most often).

Over thousands of cards I did find that certain Common cards were distinctly rarer than others (e.g. Fusion Booster). Starter box Rares also had a range of common (Doctors of course, T-Mat, Malus, Kontron Crystals) and scarcer (K-9, Black Guardian, Raston Robot). The Booster rares (one per pack) were well collated, but starter boxes could repeat within the dozen. Generally Resource Rares are scarcer.

There is one Rare Watcher card (Green, comma shape), and 2 Rare Time cards (Blue, Orange hour glass and the ME misprint).

Edited by - Melkur on 21 Nov 2007 00:16:02
Go to Top of Page

Melkur
Mastered Materializing

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  00:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Melkur's Homepage
Couple of pics (Davros is in hiding, also at the end of the universe):

Edited by - Melkur on 21 Nov 2007 00:06:17
Go to Top of Page

bjblackpool
Companion

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  04:37:45  Show Profile  Visit bjblackpool's Homepage
I bought a sealed box and the starter pack last month, and I've just been going through them - 198 discrete cards (or slightly less than two-thirds) and not a single Watcher or Time card in the whole lot.

According to the Toybox the booster packs retailed for £2.50 a pack. Completing a set back then must have required seriously deep pockets.
Go to Top of Page

Ian
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  08:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Ian's Homepage
Watcher and Time cards were only found in the starter boxes and were sealed in plastic within the box. Odd that you'd not have them - perhaps the starter had been opened?

It wasn't easy to get them back then, certainly fewer stores stocked them, and no internet trading.

Go to Top of Page

bjblackpool
Companion

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  17:56:36  Show Profile  Visit bjblackpool's Homepage
If they're in the Starter pack then hopefully I should get a few in the near future: whilst not exactly common, I've seen a fair few for (what I consider to be) a reasonable enough price on the 'Bay in the last couple of months. I suspect, though, that it will be a fair old time before I get even close to completing the set.
Go to Top of Page

bjblackpool
Companion

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  11:50:12  Show Profile  Visit bjblackpool's Homepage
I bought a few thousand loose at the end of last year, and I've just been going through them (I've always found sorting through a huge pile of discards quite relaxing - a throwback to my stamp-collecting days as a kid, no doubt!). A number of the Future Creatures caught my eye: the border isn't so much blue as purple. When the first one turned up I assumed that it had just been on the top of the pile and had faded, but when the same card turned up with exactly the same degree of "fade" my curiosity was piqued. Five such cards turned up: two Ice Warriors and one each of Chumblies, Drahvin and Krotons. Probably by coincidence, they are all on the same page in my album.

Is it a fade, or a genuine variant?
Go to Top of Page

Sci-FiPlanet
Companion

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  05:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Sci-FiPlanet's Homepage
the colour variation denotes rarity on many cards, it's subtle but the rare cards do have slightly different coloured boarders.
Go to Top of Page

TimelordTaylor
Chancellor

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  18:33:13  Show Profile  Visit TimelordTaylor's Homepage
I've picked up some nice vintage Who bits from a carboot recently and amongst them was a load of these. One starter deck and 20 or so unopened booster packs. I filled a fair few gaps in the collection and.... also pulled a Tom Baker Doctor IV from a booster
Have a massive pile of spares now, if anyones after any in paticular let me know and i'll gladly have a shift through them
Go to Top of Page

Kroll_2008
Chancellor

United Kingdom
669 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2011 :  18:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Kroll_2008's Homepage
is it worth getting more than one starter deck????

Five Rounds Rapid!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ian
Chancellor

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  17:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Ian's Homepage
If you want the whole set (or as good as, may as well ignore the Ultra (Impossibly) Rare) then you'd need more than one Starter. They were the only place you could get the Time & Watcher cards; which took several boxes to complete.

Really need to write up my lists of needs!

Go to Top of Page

Kroll_2008
Chancellor

United Kingdom
669 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  21:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Kroll_2008's Homepage
How rare is the 'exterminate' promo card if they were only in issues of that magazine? I know if I collect thus set I'm unlikely to get the 3 ultra rares, but not sure about this card.

Five Rounds Rapid!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kroll_2008
Chancellor

United Kingdom
669 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  08:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Kroll_2008's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Melkur

I got dozens of the Starter deck boxes (in cases of 10) for under $1 each deck about 3 years ago from a guy on the US West coast. Not a single Ultra Rare in any of those, I'd say they are only in the Boosters and my average is about every 5-10 boxes for one (Doomsday Machine pulled most often).

Over thousands of cards I did find that certain Common cards were distinctly rarer than others (e.g. Fusion Booster). Starter box Rares also had a range of common (Doctors of course, T-Mat, Malus, Kontron Crystals) and scarcer (K-9, Black Guardian, Raston Robot). The Booster rares (one per pack) were well collated, but starter boxes could repeat within the dozen. Generally Resource Rares are scarcer.

There is one Rare Watcher card (Green, comma shape), and 2 Rare Time cards (Blue, Orange hour glass and the ME misprint).

Just pulled all 3 of these out of a starter box and booster i bought on ebay for £3.95...

Five Rounds Rapid!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      5:17:07 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com