Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Poll
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Collecting on Richardwho
 General Topics re Collecting
 High prices for vintage Who toys going down?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  17:30:32  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
I'm interested in this observation, mentioned in another post about a particular item on Ebay.

I wonder if, as one generation gets rather old, with some unfortunates actually dying, the appeal for collectables from their era fades, and the prices naturally fall away.

I used to deal in Corgi/Dinky diecasts from the 60's and 70's.

An old friend still very much in that trade says he's noticed a sharp fall in prices for anything pre-1960, unless it happens to be exceptionally rare.

He now only buys toys (to sell) from the sixties onwards.

Same story for Doctor Who I wonder? The rule cannot be applied to every item, as certain very old very rare Who toys can still command big money. (Bendy Daleks etc)

But I think things aint what they used to be.

Discuss

Chris Balcombe

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  14:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
It was I who raised the point re a Herts Plastic Moulders Dalek being re-listed at a lower price. We are dying off. The new generation only know the new Doctors, unless they've been exposed to the original stories, and we remember them primarily for the Daleks, and the fact that children's TV was pretty thin in our day, so Dr. Who stood out.Also, some prices were very silly. I think most stuff has been overpriced, and people have got more canny. Swoppits now rarely exceed £25.00 I think, and they used to hit £60+. The new stuff is unlikely to achieve rarity, as all the collectors will be hanging on to their examples.

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  15:53:33  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
It's true I think, when ever I discuss Who collectibles now I'd say 90% of the people are only interested in 2005 onwards, even my beloved original Dalek's don't get the enthusiasm I feel for them..., there aren't really that much in the way of new classic series collectibles coming out so I think that doesn't help, a lot of people like to buy what's available now & then go hunting for other things (the older stuff).

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Phono Paul
Companion

168 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  07:04:26  Show Profile  Visit Phono Paul's Homepage
There were quite a few Swappits up on ebay recently, at the same time, some with repro arms and some without. Personally I couldn't tell the repros and non-repros apart, which makes me loathed to buy any more of them unless it's on the assumption (and pricing) that they're all repro.

I wonder if that logic holds out for other people too? They were all sub-£50 and I don't think they sold which surprised me, repro or not.
Go to Top of Page

james791
Obtained a Time Capsule

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  16:53:54  Show Profile  Visit james791's Homepage
It's a fair point, and a sobering one at that. Generally it's the more mature fans/collectors who have the disposable income to splurge on items that many would baulk at (not always the case I grant you) and thus may well be paying more than many others would. Once they fall away, others may simply not be able afford those prices, and so they come down a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  17:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
There was a Codeg clockwork Dalek on eBay listed at 0.99p. It didn't sell [I didn't check if there was a reserve]. Another one is on sale for £660.

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page

exterminator
Companion

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  15:22:46  Show Profile  Visit exterminator's Homepage
eBay seems to have changed a lot over the last few years ... or maybe it's the sellers?

Compared to ... what ... half a dozen years ago, I can't say I've seen that many real, genuine Who props on there, the majority of items described as a "prop" or "replica prop" for Dr. Who are Character Options toys.

There used to be something genuinely interesting and worthwhile appearing at least once a month or so, but now ... practically nothing. Perhaps everyone is hanging on the "real" stuff??
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  17:32:45  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
The poor old Nemesis Cybergun is up again. The seller keeps dropping the price a little each time he relists, and has asked if anyone wants to do swaps.
I have a feeling the This Planet Earth replicas of those guns may have had an effect, as what he's asking isn't really that unreasonable.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

exterminator
Companion

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  04:58:35  Show Profile  Visit exterminator's Homepage
That's been on eBay for ages! As you say Chris, the price has dropped slightly.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy
Chancellor

United Kingdom
601 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2015 :  07:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy's Homepage

Prices have been coming down steadily the last few years IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Jenny
Nemesis

3076 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  17:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Jenny's Homepage
I wouldn't say all is totally quiet on classic toys.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201314815456?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

"Once you start down the dark path. Forever will it control your destiny...]"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      6:48:42 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com