New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  09:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
I think that my Dr. Who collecting mojo has gone walkabout.

I've got all the CO 5" Daleks I want; a reasonable assortment of villains from various packs and sets. With nothing much celebrating the 50th anniversary except that wretched Icon Dalek, I think that the bubble is slowly deflating. CO don't seem to be bothering any more.

Of course, I could just have grown up at last.

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  13:47:54  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
I've felt that way for a couple of years now to be honest..., all I've really bought over the last 2 years or so are any new remote controlled Dalek's that have been released (& the British Icon Dalek) & the Titan Merchandise maxi-busts..., there's just been nothing else of interest for me to buy & I stopped collecting the 5" figures a while back so definitely have no interest in the 3.75" figures.

I'll still buy any bigger scaled Dalek's that get made plus any new maxi-busts that Titan make but that's about it for me really, unless some statues get released at some point in the future.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Whoviansdelight
Protector of Zygons

Australia
1351 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  14:37:29  Show Profile
The 3.75" size figures dont do it for me so I now only collect the classic 5" range and any special releases (War Dr release when it happens). the anniversary year was pretty lame with merchandise wasnt it.. Even the books getting released are nothing compared to the likes of the Howe ones of years gone by.. I did get the Vault book but that is about it from me.. Only major purchase I have done was the BC 11th doctor and that was cause it was super cheap clearence price.. Would love the other 2 releases but are a bit pricey and the 10th has sold out already.. As I have gotten older, I have certainly gotten more pickier as to what I collect.. so much dribble out there isnt there...

Zygons Rule ** Thank you for bringing them back***
Go to Top of Page

kevb0977
Chancellor

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  14:52:12  Show Profile  Visit kevb0977's Homepage
dribble is certainly one word for some of the things you can buy..., I started out buying the things I really wanted (years ago) & eventually after I'd bought everything & was merely waiting for things to be released, I then looked at other things & for a time I was quite happy BUT one day I just looked around at my collection & thought 'what an earth am I doing?' In with all my great stuff was a load of tack (to put it politely) so I then stopped just collecting & got pickier..., to the point where I buy virtually nothing really but with the tack safely tucked away in the attic now (marked bin in event of death), I'm happy to say I look at my collection & it's all the good stuff.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

the_narrator
The Autograph Moderator

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  16:30:07  Show Profile
I agree with what as been said before.
Considering thats its the 50th its all been a low key even the high street shops have been a bit empty of stuff. Back in November I thought there was going to be a raft of lame stuff with the 50th logo slapped on it but there wasn't.

Personal I don't buy merchandise any more unless its something that I really like I prefer to save my money and buy one off items such as a prop or costume rather than buy mass produced items that frankly IMHO is going to be worth squat as everyone is buying them to keep in mint condition. Personally a good prop or costume will NEVER lose money on in fact they are going up in price.

This is the day the Timelords returned....
For Gallifrey....
For Victory....
For The End Of Time Itself....!!!
Go to Top of Page

DB 2
Timelord

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  17:32:10  Show Profile  Visit DB 2's Homepage
Totally agree with what has been said.Some very cheap and nasty products on the market at the moment.Mentioned it before but really hate the 3.75" figures,certainly a step back in my opinion and will not be buying any of them.The 50th should have been very special but the products were a big let down.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  05:30:48  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Interesting reading. A little gloomy....but certainly matching the UK weather!

The 50th Anniversary is marked, in my house, by three Icon daleks, still unopened, in the loft, and, in my mind, a fond memory of Tom's part in the big episode.

People kept asking me what I'd been up to to mark the big year, but I hadn't done anything. My 3 daleks had stayed sleeping in the lock-up, apart from the gold one, who had a brief snowball fight last January.

Yes, the new size figures look a bit naff, but obviously aimed at an age range far removed from mine. But surely they'll lose the collector market and have to rely on just the kiddies?

Fortunately, original props have always been, and remain, my bag.

Although I lost most of my collection to get the old dalek, I've been quietly buying, when cash has been available, a few odds and ends. Will get around to putting them on my page soon. One brightly-coloured item involves the pursuit, or should I say 'patrol' of Happiness

Cheer up everyone....Spring is on the way, (or autumn if in Oz) and as a famous UK Labour leader once said before loosing the election, 'Things can only get better!'

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cosmic Hobo

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  06:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage
It's funny, I was thinking only a couple of weeks ago about how quiet it's been on here of late. I'd suspected it was for the reasons people are discussing because I pretty much feel the same.

I must admit I was surprised how little quality, collectable merchandise was released last year; the only things that have interested me are the Big Chief figures as they are stunning. I was lucky enough to get to the 50th Celerbration last November and was walking around the stalls with my birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, but other than the Big Chief limited edition 10th Doctor there wasn't anything I wanted. In the meantime I keep hoping for a quality trading card set but since Battles in Time they're all aimed at children.

There's not even much in the way of old merchandise that interests me at the moment, and even if there were people are asking waaaaaay over the odds (IMHO) because 'Who' is seen as a high-ticket item. The only thing I'm trying to complete is my Cornerstone trading card autographs (which is a nightmare in itself as there are so many fakes our there).

One thing I've found is I've refocused my collecting and I've sold a lot of (mainly new series) stuff that I no longer want or need. Other stuff has gone the way of the bin or charity shops because it's just not worth hanging on to.
Go to Top of Page

alanperciwho
Chancellor

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  04:12:54  Show Profile  Visit alanperciwho's Homepage
I too haven't been purchasing many DW items recently. Last thing I got was the Second Doctor with the Evil of the Daleks Dalek. Apart from the DVDs my collecting days seem over. I guess it was time for me to grow up really.
Go to Top of Page

Trevor54
Creator of Small Daleks

Turkmenistan
1471 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  10:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Trevor54's Homepage
I'd be interested in one of those flying Daleks from "Time of the Doctor", or something else dalekky perhaps. A properly-produced Ron Turner dalek, like my old plaster ones. BTW did the hoverbout in the "Time Zone" ripoff set actually ever appear [or be planned to appear] on screen?

If Zygons were green, they'd be gherkins.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      2:50:21 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com