New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  16:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
I've just heard the terrible news that Ray Harryhausen has passed away at the age of 92. I was fortunate enough to meet this great man on a few occasions. Hearing that he has gone is like losing a friend or family member. It will take me some time to get over this.

One size does NOT fit all

Dalekfan
Dalek Commander of the Outer Galaxies

United Kingdom
9429 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  16:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Dalekfan's Homepage
Terribly sad.

Go to Top of Page

Hoosier Whovian
Chancellor

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  22:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Hoosier Whovian's Homepage
A few of us were talking about him the other night in the WhoNA chatroom, one member saw a documentary where Ray stated he would not use CGI after someone else on the show said they thought he would embrace it.

Not sure about the UK, but here in the states a lot of the metropolitan areas used to have saturday afternoon or even late night horror shows and we had a nice regular diet of Harryhausen magic. A great loss, but we do have his films to remember him by.
Go to Top of Page

DalekDel
Wanderer In The Fourth Dimension Of Space And Time

United Kingdom
3331 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  23:57:27  Show Profile  Visit DalekDel's Homepage
One of the few people in film history where the words legend and genius are not an exaggeration. One of the most influential people in cinematic history.
Go to Top of Page

duralinium1
Chancellor

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  06:47:50  Show Profile  Visit duralinium1's Homepage
Wonderful man, true pioneer, Jason and the Argonauts, 7th voyage of Sinbad, Golden Voyage of sinbad with Tom Baker, terrific stuff
Go to Top of Page

Qexit
Timelord

United Kingdom
350 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  15:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Qexit's Homepage
Some people on these forums are aware that I am a great fan of Ray Harryhausen, his films and, well, everything about him. I was really saddened to hear the news of his death yesterday. It will take a few days before his passing fully registers with me. I was fortunate enough to meet him in person on more than one occasion and have photographs to remind me of those days. Best and most memorable of all was being fortunate enough to attend his 90th Birthday celebrations at the London Film Museum in 2010. I presented him with a birthday card and he later gave me a piece of his birthday cake. A day and memories I will always treasure :)

First time I met Ray:

Ray with a few friends including John Landis, Peter Jackson, Terry Gilliam, Martine Beswicke and Caroline Munro at his 90th Birthday Celebration:

One size does NOT fit all
Go to Top of Page

ChrisB
Co-Lord President

United Kingdom
1689 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  04:54:07  Show Profile  Visit ChrisB's Homepage
Great pictures Kevin. Many thanks for sharing those, and your recollections of meeting Ray.
Great that he endured to the grand age of 92.
So many are taken from us so much earlier.
Rest In Happiness Ray.

Chris Balcombe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dr Who Collector Message Board    - -      3:58:47 AM (-5 GMT) © www.richardwho.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Go to www.richardwho.com
RichardWho Poll
Are you collecting the new series toys?

Yes
No

View Results
Go to www.richardwho.com